Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Mr. Chunk


Allright. . .I guess calling William Mr. Chunk is a slight overexaggeration, but the kid weighs in now at 11 pounds 11.5 ounces, and since he started out at 4 pounds 2 ounces, to us, he is MASSIVE (and very, very cute). Just as un update, things are going super well. William is doing great. . .he's still confined to the house and we still are super careful as far as having him around other people, but he's just doing great!!! I will have to say that I'm a little concerned that he might be developing a kind of Pavlovian (is that even a word?) response to hand sanitizer. . .the reason being that we never pick him up or touch him without sanitizing our hands first, so we have about 6-7 bottles of sanitizer placed throughout the house and I get the feeling that now when he smells the sanitizer or senses that we are putting it on our hands he starts getting pretty happy because he knows he's going to be picked up. . .he can be crying and screaming and the second he smells the sanitizer he starts to calm down. . .I hope this doesn't have any long lasting effects. . .but, oh well, what can you do.


He was lucky enough to qualify for these RSV shots that high risk kids get once a month. . .they cost about $3500 a shot, but since we've pretty much already reached our out of pocket maximum for our insurance, they're free!!!! Isn't it funny how that works. . .you pay a ton load of money to the insurance company, hospital, doctor, etc. and once you've reached a certain amount ever thing else is "paid for". You forget that you've already paid into insurance your whole life (which amonts to alot of money if you think about it) and that you will continue to pay into it for the rest of your life (again, alot of money) but for this one year, everything is "free". It kind of plays with your mind. . .it's like when we were in the NICU, and one day they gave me this diaper bag with formula and wipes and a bunch of other stuff in it. I asked if I needed to pay them for it and they just laughed and said that no one had ever asked them that before and that I could just have it. I started thanking them profusely, but then on the way home I realized that really, that wasn't a free diaper bag, it was just a mere token of appreciation for us (and mostly the insurance company) having paid the NICU and hospital $30,000. . .I think that's why the nurses were kind of laughing at me. Anyway, that being said, I have told Roland that if he is going to have to need any kind of major surgery or anything like that, that now is the time to do it. . .because it's FREE!!! I wonder if they take out appendices or other miscellaneous, extra body parts even if they aren't rupturing. . .it sure would save us money in the long run! But really. we are grateful to have insurance!


In other news, we blessed William on February 1, 2008. It was wonderful and so good to see all of our family at the blessing. We took him in, blessed him, and kept him covered the whole time, but it definitely was the most people he's been around ever and I think it took him by surprise that more people than just mom, dad, and the grandparents exist. . .poor kid! But it was a beautiful day and we are just so grateful that he's doing so well!



Well, I think I've written enough. . .most people don't read the blog anyway. . .they just look at pictures, so I've included a bunch. . .ENJOY!


Oh, and just in case you were wondering. . .yes, his hair is still red. . and his eyes are looking like they might be blue. . .go figure!




This is the William look. . .he seriously always has this half grin, content look on his face. . .he's a great baby!



Enjoying some time on his tummy!




Look at that double chin--he loves sleeping and is actually sleeping through the night now--hooray!


William and mom


On his blessing day



He smiles all the time now. . .it's the best!




"What the heck do you have me in?"


William and his Christmas stocking





11 comments:

Becca's Blog said...

What a cutie!!!

I love the picture of him that looks like he's doing (or trying to do) a push-up.

I'm glad he's getting fat. He definately looks like a Batt.

Tallie, Aaron, Sterling, Avalon, Truman and Quin said...

I agree with Becca, he definately looks like a Batt. I am so glad about the RSV shots. RSV terrifies me. They scared us about it with Sterling, but I didn't realize how bad it was until a 3 month old in our ward got it. She coded and flat lined and is blind in one eye and deaf in one ear now. They also think there might be some brain damage. Anyway, he is so cute and I am glad it is going so well.

Melissa said...

Your little William is adorable! We have a gift for you. Will you email me directions to your house so I can drop it off. We won't come in...my boys aren't healthy winter boys. once summer's here and they're healthy for a month we'd love to meet William! You look terriffic and William is ADORABLE!

jessi said...

William is adorable. I love the picture of him smiling, well and all of the others too. You say that most people just look at the pictures, but I read it and love your funny sense of humor, Kim. Again, beautiful baby boy, lucky to have you for his mommy!

Tane and Angela said...

wow! i think he and gabby can be called mr. and miss. chunky=)can't wait till we get to meet him!

Dave and Candace said...

Kim, he is so very cute!! I think he looks like a Batt in most of the pictures, but there were a couple where I thought he looked just like Roland . . . either way, it makes for a cute baby. I'm glad that he is doing so well - he looks like a happy baby. Hooray for sleeping through the night!! Hopefully we can get together soon.

Alicia said...

I read the whole thing. I've been so interested to hear an update. Red hair, huh? I've always thought folks with red hair are extra special. Maybe William has a little luck of the Irish in him. What a cute boy and I'm so glad he's doing well. I hear you on the insurance thing. Sure hope you are feeling well. You didn't tell us about you. Let's hear it, how are you feeling?

Curtis and Crystal said...

He is so cute. I wish I could of held him over Valentines weekend. And no way is he a chunk. He only weighs 2 pounds more than my kids did when they were born. I am so glad he is doing better now and gaining weight that is so good. Love, Crystal

Joy said...

What a beautiful baby, Kim! He definitely reminds me of the Batts. I love his red hair. Were you surprised to have a red-haired blue-eyed baby?

I love the hand sanitizer story. That's hilarious!! He'll probably always have positive associations with cleanliness. I wish my son did. Ha! It's hard to get him to take a bath these days. :)

I'm so glad you have a blog I can stalk. haha! Thanks for sharing it with me.

Joy said...

Oh, and this is Joy, by the way. :)

Heather.H said...

He is adorable!!! I love him!! And you guys!! We need to get together. I'll come to Salt Lake soon to party! Love you both so much!! Heather