Saturday, January 10, 2009

Our Little Miracle

Miracles come in all shapes and sizes and ours happened to weigh in at 4 lbs 2 oz (and 17 inches long). We were blessed with a beautiful baby boy- William Roland James - born on November 11, 2008. William was delivered after I developed toxemia and the doctor felt it was in the best interest of both of us to go ahead and perform a C-section. William spent 11 days in the NICU because he was premature and very small. We had known beforehand that he would be in the NICU, but I don't think, no matter how prepared we thought we were, that we were ready to see our little baby hooked up to monitors and machines. We were so blessed, however, to have good nurses taking care of our baby and explaining to us what every thing was for and what it all meant. While in the NICU, William was in an isolette to keep him warm enough, he had to be under phototherapy lights for jaundice, he had an IV in his head (this was probably my least favorite thing), and a feeding tube going down his nose into his stomach. He was hooked up to lots of monitors to measure just about everything it seemed like! We were able to hold him 2 times a day for thirty minutes at a time. The rest of the time he had to be in the isolette in order to keep him warm enough. It was hard not to be able to hold him longer and be with him, but we are grateful for modern medicine that made it possible for him to be okay.

We saw blessing after blessing while William was there and after a mere 11 days (we thought it would be much longer) he got to come home. There is a certain moment when you are overcome with complete panic when the doctor tells you that you get to take home your 4 lb. 9 oz baby. I remember thinking "NO WAY. . .you can't send me home with such a tiny baby. . .I think he needs to stay here until he is a LEAST 7 lbs!" But really, it was wonderful to bring him home so soon and it only took me about 2-3 weeks before I could actually sleep without waking up every 5 minutes to see if he was okay!

William is now between 8-9 lbs (we find out tomorrow how much he weighs, so that is just our guess) and doing great! He eats well and is healthy and strong and is such a wonderful little baby! One of the most interesting things about William is that he has red hair. . .now, that may not seem all too weird to most of you, but when you take into account that Roland is half Japanese and I don't have red hair, then you might start to wonder. The first time the nurse pointed out his red hair I admit I thought to myself "Well, they have made a mistake, this can't possibly be our baby because our baby can't possibly have red hair!" But, Roland and I are finally getting used to our little Red Headed Asian Baby!!!

We are just so grateful to have William here with us. There were so many complications surrounding this pregnancy and yet each time after the doctors found something else that could possibly go wrong or had gone wrong, we immediately saw blessings and felt at peace knowing that everything would turn out the way it was supposed to. We are also grateful for all the wonderful family and friends who visited while I was on bedrest and who constantly prayed for our little baby. . .he is definitely the product of alot of people's prayers and love! We love being parents and are excited for the years to come, although we already think he is growing up too fast! Here are some fun pics of William's first weeks of life!


William all snug and cozy in his little isolette

Hangin' out with dad an hour or two after he was born

Roland right before the C-section

We got to hold him twice a day for 30 minutes at a time.
He slept alot at the beginning!

Holding on to Roland's finger. . .isn't he so cute (and small!)

Sleeping peacefully in his little isolette

Not too excited about eating. . .we decided we could call him
"One-Eyed Willy" (from the Goonies)
Looking pretty cool with his shades, made especially
for being under the phototherapy lights!

Eating with Dad

He had to have a feeding tube for a couple of days
to make sure he was getting enough nourishment. . .
He probably would have had it longer, but he pulled it out. . .
he definitely has a mind of his own!
Alot of stuff for such a little baby!

Gaining his first 1.1 oz. . .he was up to 4 lbs 3 oz. . .
it was a very exciting day!!!



Burping a 4 lb baby is a little scary!




"Get me out of here already!!!!"


His first clothes drowned him. . .and they were even preemie!


The bottle was so big compared to him!

After 11 days in the NICU, he got to come home!
He only weighed 4 lbs. 9 oz

He looked so tiny in his car seat!

Grandma and Grandpa James

Hmmmm. . . .



Grandpa Batt

Look at the red hair. . .where did that come from???

Grandma Batt stayed with us for a WHOLE MONTH!!!
It was great!!!


First bath at home

15 comments:

Christine said...

Congratulations Kim! He is adorable!!!

Alicia said...

WHAT A STORY!! He looks beautiful! You are such a lovely woman, Kim and I'm so glad you invited us to see your blog! Great pictures!

Suzanne said...

Congratulations, Kim! Adriana had to spend a week in the NICU when she was born, and the IV in her head was one of my least favorite things, too (especially because she pulled it out). I'm so glad that William is home now and doing so well, and that you got through the difficult pregnancy OK. What a miracle baby. I'm excited for your family!

Jonika said...

Love ya Kim! He is beautiful! Thanks for the update...been praying for your family...

Melissa said...

Oh, Kim, he's beautiful! What a blessing that he is home and doing well. I am also glad that you are doing well too; it is such an adjustment to mommyhood, but wonderful as well. Red hair is not that uncommon when you mix dark hair with lighter hair. I've seen it more than once. So cute! Congratulations!

Melissa said...

What a fighter! He's adorable. I LOVE red headed boys! I can't wait to meet William.

Iris said...

I LOVE all the pictures....and I would have never guessed about the red hair! He is adorable.....we are so happy for you & Roland =)

Dennis and Jan said...

Thanks for sharing a beautiful story with a "happily ever after" ending.

Rebecca said...

I can't wait to see your cute little guy in person, now that we're close enough to come to the next family event! :)

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you guys!

Laura Hyde said...

Thank you for sharing! It's so nice to finally get the story...especially from the mom! You are amazing Kim, you definitely win the mother of the year award in my book! Congratulations! We can't wait until Marianne can pinch his legs and poke his eyes. :) She loves babies.

Baby Ruth said...

Oh! congratulations!! I am soo happy for you two!! What a beautiful miracle... cherish every moment because they grow too fast, and then you wonder where your little baby went...

Tane and Angela said...

i'm so glad you emailed us your blog! i'm so glad to see your new little one. I can't wait to have gabby play with her little cousin=) congrats!

Cindy said...

Congratulations! I hope everything is going well for you guys! He sure is a cutie!!

Cindy (Holst)

Darla Davies said...

Thanks for sharing your miracle with us! He is beautiful (or handsome - whichever you want)!

Battfam said...

That was really fun to see all those pictures of such a little miracle. The picture of William in the carseat really lets us know how tiny he was. Glad he is doing great now!